Soilless agriculture by greenhouse hydroponic farming of vegetables and flowers is becoming very widespread because it:
- optimises the quality and quantity of the harvest
- standardises and rationalises the work in greenhouses
- reduces water consumption and improves the phytosanitary conditions for crops
- optimises the fertilisers (the nutrient solutions) and increases their efficiency
- can be undertaken anywhere, independently of local soil characteristics
- its chemical and physical characteristicsare standardised and consistent
- it has neutral pH
- it has very good insulating propertiesthat limit sudden temperature changes
- it does not contain phytotoxic substances
- it has excellent resistance to crushing.
The use of Laterlite Agri in hydroponics gives:
- optimised management of the nutrients without increasing salinity and electrical conductivity, since the granulate does not interfere with delivery of the nutrient solution to the plant,
- optimal anchorage for the root system,
- high porosity (> 80%) and good water retention (up to 30%),
- standardised growing conditions that remain constant over time,
- reuse, recycling, and ease of sterilisation as required.
The best vegetables for hydroponic cultivation in expanded clay are tomatoes, eggplants, zucchini, chillies, etc.
Using the same principles, expanded clay is used with success in aquaponics and phytopurification systems, such as constructed wetlands.
Contact the Laterlite technical department for more information on the use of expanded clay aggregates as a substrate for hydroponics in agricultural operations.CONTACT US