Mulching consists of covering the soil at the base of plants with a protective layer, bringing considerable advantages to gardens and plant health.
Mineral Mulch made of Laterlite or Laterlite Agri Expanded Clay Pebbles offers numerous advantages:
- it reduces moisture loss from the substrate due to evaporation. This minimises water stress in the plants in hot weather and reduces the need for watering
- it thermally insulates the soil, reducing extreme temperature changesin the root system
- it restricts the germination and growth of unwanted herbaceous plants or weeds
- it protects the soil from erosion and compactioncaused by rainfall and watering
- it provides a decorative finishto gardens, pots, and planters
- it discourages the spread of plant diseasesbecause it is an inorganic material
- it cannot be attacked by rodents, insects, or fungus
- it does not degradeand requires minimal maintenance and replenishment.
- it is non-combustible and does not propagate fire (refractory material)
Laterlite Expanded Clay can be used as mulch for plants in pots and planters or in the open, as well as in vegetable gardens, roof gardens, or green roofs.
For best results, Laterlite or Laterlite Agri Clay Pebbles mulch layer thickness should be 5 – 10 cm.