Traditional aggregates used as fill above underground structures (tunnels, parking garages, etc.) impose a high permanent load that restricts the possibilities of re-using the existing structures and requires new structural elements to be oversized to take the extra load.
Laterlite Expanded Clay drastically reduces the weight of the fill layers, and its high strength enables maximum flexibility in how the spaces above are used.
– Reduced dead loading on the below-ground structure
– Economy of construction in new-build structural elements (which can be slimmer)
– Greater freedom for modifying and re-using any existing structure
– Can be laid to deep thicknesses
– Maximum freedom in the use of the spaces above, including by vehicles
– High drainage capacity
– Freedom from risk in case of fire (expanded clay is a 100% mineral material)
– Simplicity of construction