The use of expanded clay as bedding and fill for underground pipelines or for pipelines that are integrated into engineered structures (bridges, tunnels, etc.) brings technical and practical advantages.
– Simple to lay without any need for compaction, without risk of damage to pipework
– If access to the pipeline is required for maintenance, it is easy to identify and the aggregate is easy to remove.
– Thermal resistance: the low heat dispersion and reduced risk of freezing enable the excavation to be shallower
– Protection from vibration and thrust caused by settlement, seismic events, landslip, etc.
– Ability to support significant loading
– Drainage and elimination of stagnating water